Help your employees make the most of their money
Financial education events
Follow us on Facebook: facebook.com/cashgp
Looking for a job?
Ten ways to make the most of your money
Get help outside of Cumberland County: www.cashmaine.org
Sign-Up to receive our newsletter:
CA$H Greater Portland is a program of:
Welcome to CA$H Greater Portland
Helping you find ways to make the most of your money
"Creating Assets, Savings and Hope"-- a partnership of community leaders and industry experts, brought to you by United Way of Greater Portland.
Free financial education
- Get one FREE credit report from each of the three credit agencies every year: www.annualcreditreport.com.
- Create a spending plan, keep your money safe, establish financial goals, and understand your credit: Money Made Easy.
- Match your savings to purchase a home, continue your education, or start a business. Contact Women, Work and Community (207-799-5025), and ask about a "Family Development Account".
- Sign up for more free financial education workshops: Women, Work and Community (207-799-5025) and Community Financial Literacy (207-797-7890).
- Need to start a budget? Try these free tools: spending plan template and home budget calculator and watch these videos at www.bettermoneyhabits.com.
Get Up to $400
Maine's Property Tax and Rent Refund "Circuit Breaker" is a thing of the past, but the Maine "Property Tax Fairness Credit" is a new refundable credit that could still provide up to $400 of relief. Claim the credit in January 2014 on your 1040ME Maine Individual Income Tax Form.
- Value: up to $300 (under 70 years old) and up to $400 (70 and over)
- Maine residents who lived in the state as homeowners or renters during the tax year
- $40,000 (AGI) household
- Paying more than 10% of income on property taxes, or more than 40% of their income on rent.
If you do not have an income tax filing requirement, contact Maine Revenue Services or free tax preparation programs like CA$H Maine and AARP Tax-Aide who will file income tax returns for free. Get connected to these free tax preparation services during the tax season by contacting 2-1-1 Maine.
United Way partner agency Pine Tree Legal Assistance has provided some additional guidance about the Property Tax Fairness Credit here: www.ptla.org/maine-property-tax-fairness-credit.
Do You Have Unclaimed Assets?
You may have left money behind, from a job, bank account, or another state. It takes 2 minutes to find out: www.missingmoney.com.
Did You Receive an Income Tax Refund?
You can get your refund throughout the year instead, and have more money every month to pay bills. Go to your workplace payroll department, and change your W-4 to withhold fewer taxes from your paycheck. Click here for instructions from the IRS.
Do You Quality For Maine Benefits?
Visit My Maine Connection to get connected to:
- Low- or no-cost health care
- Help with buying food
- Help with buying prescription drugs
- Help with paying for child care
- Special tax credits
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
Test (and Improve) Your Financial Knowledge
- 30 Steps to Financial Wellness: www.financialliteracymonth.com
- Financial planning checklists: www.fpanet.org (under tools & resources)
- Money management resource library: www.smartaboutmoney.org
- Personal finance calculators: www.360financialliteracy.org
- Children and financial education: www.moneyasyougrow.org
Get connected to organizations that can help you find ways to make the most of your money by dialing 2-1-1, visit www.211maine.org.
2013 free tax preparation results
2,600 volunteer hours = $1.25m tax refunds + filing fee savings + Circuit Breaker apps + claimed assets. Thank you! http://bit.ly/ZlV0Tx
2013 free tax preparation was provided by CA$H Greater Portland, a program of United Way of Greater Portland and the Greater Portland CA$H Coalition: AARP Tax-Aide, Coastal Enterprises, Inc., Community Financial Literacy, Goodwill Industries of NNE, Internal Revenue Service (IRS), KeyBank, Pine Tree Legal Assistance, Portland Housing Authority, and Women, Work and Community and 166 volunteers--thank you! Free tax preparation events were offered statewide by CA$H Greater Portland, members of CA$H Maine, and AARP Tax-Aide—eleven coalitions working together to help individuals and families find ways to make the most of their money.
Thank you to our 2013 Sponsors: United Way of Greater Portland, Goodwill Industries of NNE, IRS, KeyBank, Casey Family Services, Gorham Savings Bank, Casco Federal Credit Union, and East Brown Cow.
Source: WCSH 6/WLBZ 2