Help your employees make the most of their money
Financial education events
Follow us on Facebook: facebook.com/cashgp
Looking for a job?
Ten ways to make the most of your money
Get help outside of Cumberland County: www.cashmaine.org
Sign-Up to receive our newsletter:
CA$H Greater Portland is a program of:
Welcome to CA$H Greater Portland
Helping you find ways to make the most of your money
"Creating Assets, Savings and Hope"-- a partnership of community leaders and industry experts, brought to you by United Way of Greater Portland.
Money Smart week (April 20-27) and financial literacy month
Please join us for "Free Credit Report Day": get your credit reports for free and learn how your credit can impact future purchases, employment and housing.
WHAT: Free Credit Report Day: free credit reports and individual guidance, free financial education workshops about credit and debt.
WHO: Portland Public Library, CA$H Greater Portland at United Way of Greater Portland, KeyBank, Women, Work and Community, Goodwill Industries of Northern New England, and Community Financial Literacy.
WHEN: April 26, 2013, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
WHERE: Portland Public Library, 5 Monument Square, Portland, ME 04101
HOW: To set up an appointment, call 871-1700 ext. 725
DETAILS: Free and open to the public
- "Free Credit Report Day": 10 a.m.-3 p.m.--When was the last time you looked at your credit report? Your credit history (bill payments, credit card and loan debt) can impact your ability to make future purchases, qualify for employment, utilities and housing. Join us to review your free credit report and discover strategies to build good credit. Once you have your credit report, learn how you can multiply your savings with a Maine Family Development Account. Call 207-871-1700, ext. 725 to make your appointment. Walk-ins welcome upon availability. Location: PPL Meeting Rooms 2, 3 and 4.
- “To Your Credit”: 12-1 p.m.-- Understand a credit report, order and read a credit report, provide tips to improve a credit score, and recognize credit repair scams. Location: PPL Meeting Room 4.
- “Charge It Right”: 3-4 p.m.-- Understand credit card basics, know the costs of using a credit card, describe how to use credit cards responsibly, and recognize why it's important to pay more than the minimum payment. Location: PPL Meeting Room 4.
- “Credit Smart for Teens”: 3-3:30 p.m.-- This workshop will help explain basic credit card terms and definitions, help teens to understand a credit rating and how it affects interest rates, learn how to maintain good credit, and discuss the basics of a spending plan. Location: PPL Teen Lounge.
- “Gaming with Benjamins”: 3:30-5 p.m.-- A chance for teens to hang out after the Credit Smart workshop and prove their money smarts! Stay and enjoy games and snacks. Location: PPL Teen Lounge.
The event recognizes national Money Smart Week (www.moneysmartweek.org), and is a partnership of CA$H Greater Portland at United Way of Greater Portland, KeyBank, Portland Public Library, Women, Work and Community, Goodwill Industries of Northern New England, and Community Financial Literacy. Money Smart Week at Portland Public Library is a national event of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago and American Library Association.
Free financial education
- Get one FREE credit report from each of the three credit agencies every year: www.annualcreditreport.com.
- Create a spending plan, keep your money safe, establish financial goals, and understand your credit: Money Made Easy.
- Match your savings to purchase a home, continue your education, or start a business. Contact Women, Work and Community (207-799-5025), and ask about a "Family Development Account".
- Sign up for more free financial education workshops: Women, Work and Community (207-799-5025) and Community Financial Literacy (207-797-7890).
- Need to start a budget? Try these free tools: spending plan template and home budget calculator.
Get Up to $1,600
If you paid more than 20% of your income on rent, or 4%+ on property taxes in 2011, take 15 minutes to complete your Maine Property Tax and Rent Refund application. Have your refund back within 2 weeks! Click here to print an application, or call 207-626-8475 to receive an application by mail. Click here for more information.
- Program Overview
- Program Requirements
- Low Participation Rates
- Listen to our conversation about the program:
Source: Maine Center on Economic Policy "State of the State" interview
Do You Have Unclaimed Assets?
You may have left money behind, from a job, bank account, or another state. It takes 2 minutes to find out: www.missingmoney.com.
Did You Receive an Income Tax Refund?
You can get your refund throughout the year instead, and have more money every month to pay bills. Go to your workplace payroll department, and change your W-4 to withhold fewer taxes from your paycheck. Click here for instructions from the IRS.
Do You Quality For Maine Benefits?
Visit My Maine Connection to get connected to:
- Low- or no-cost health care
- Help with buying food
- Help with buying prescription drugs
- Help with paying for child care
- Special tax credits
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
Test (and Improve) Your Financial Knowledge
- 30 Steps to Financial Wellness: www.financialliteracymonth.com
- Financial planning checklists: www.fpanet.org (under tools & resources)
- Money management resource library: www.smartaboutmoney.org
- Personal finance calculators: www.360financialliteracy.org
- Children and financial education: www.moneyasyougrow.org
Get connected to organizations that can help you find ways to make the most of your money by dialing 2-1-1, visit www.211maine.org.
2013 free tax preparation results
2,600 volunteer hours = $1.25m tax refunds + filing fee savings + Circuit Breaker apps + claimed assets. Thank you! http://bit.ly/ZlV0Tx
2013 free tax preparation was provided by CA$H Greater Portland, a program of United Way of Greater Portland and the Greater Portland CA$H Coalition: AARP Tax-Aide, Coastal Enterprises, Inc., Community Financial Literacy, Goodwill Industries of NNE, Internal Revenue Service (IRS), KeyBank, Pine Tree Legal Assistance, Portland Housing Authority, and Women, Work and Community and 166 volunteers--thank you! Free tax preparation events were offered statewide by CA$H Greater Portland, members of CA$H Maine, and AARP Tax-Aide—eleven coalitions working together to help individuals and families find ways to make the most of their money.
Thank you to our 2013 Sponsors: United Way of Greater Portland, Goodwill Industries of NNE, IRS, KeyBank, Casey Family Services, Gorham Savings Bank, Casco Federal Credit Union, and East Brown Cow.
Source: WCSH 6/WLBZ 2