Help your employees make the most of their money
Financial education events
Follow us on Facebook: facebook.com/cashgp
Looking for a job?
Ten ways to make the most of your money
Get help outside of Cumberland County: www.cashmaine.org
Sign-Up to receive our newsletter:
CA$H Greater Portland is a program of:
Welcome to CA$H Greater Portland
Helping you find ways to make the most of your money
"Creating Assets, Savings and Hope"-- a partnership of community leaders and industry experts, brought to you by United Way of Greater Portland.
Free Tax Preparation and Asset Building Resources
Get your taxes prepared for free by IRS-certified tax preparers, and get connected to resources to help you make the most of your money.
Portland events (75 Washington Ave., Portland): Tuesday-Thursday, 5-8 p.m. and Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Schedule your appointment by calling 207-699-0753.
Westbrook events (426 Bridge St., Westbrook): Wednesdays, 4-7:30 p.m. and Saturdays, 9 a.m.-12 p.m. Schedule your appointment by calling 207-776-6316.
Other Greater Portland communities: dial 2-1-1 or visit www.cashmaine.org for a tax site near you.
Please help us tell others about our events:
Higher Education Resources For You and Your Children
Get connected to higher education resources for you and your children. Ask for your voucher at any tax site, and find out about grants from Finance Authority of Maine (FAME).
See CA$H in Action
Mainers get free tax help in Portland, CA$H Maine also offering asset building advice on WMTW (http://bit.ly/1gN09gH)
Free tax prep could lead to college savings on WCSH (http://on.wcsh6.com/1hA9vyl)
Do You Have Unclaimed Assets?
You may have left money behind, from a job, bank account, or another state. It takes 2 minutes to find out: www.missingmoney.com.
Did You Receive an Income Tax Refund?
You can get your refund throughout the year instead, and have more money every month to pay bills. Go to your workplace payroll department, and change your W-4 to withhold fewer taxes from your paycheck. Click here for instructions from the IRS.
Do You Quality For Maine Benefits?
Visit My Maine Connection to get connected to:
- Low- or no-cost health care
- Help with buying food
- Help with buying prescription drugs
- Help with paying for child care
- Special tax credits
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
Test (and Improve) Your Financial Knowledge
- 30 Steps to Financial Wellness: www.financialliteracymonth.com
- Financial planning checklists: www.fpanet.org (under tools & resources)
- Money management resource library: www.smartaboutmoney.org
- Personal finance calculators: www.360financialliteracy.org
- Children and financial education: www.moneyasyougrow.org
Get connected to organizations that can help you find ways to make the most of your money by dialing 2-1-1, visit www.211maine.org.
Free financial education
- Get one FREE credit report from each of the three credit agencies every year: www.annualcreditreport.com.
- Create a spending plan, keep your money safe, establish financial goals, and understand your credit: Money Made Easy.
- Match your savings to purchase a home, continue your education, or start a business. Contact Women, Work and Community (207-799-5025), and ask about a "Family Development Account".
- Sign up for more free financial education workshops: Women, Work and Community (207-799-5025) and Community Financial Literacy (207-797-7890).
- Need to start a budget? Try these free tools: spending plan template and home budget calculator and watch these videos at www.bettermoneyhabits.com.
2013 free tax preparation results
2,600 volunteer hours = $1.25m tax refunds + filing fee savings + Circuit Breaker apps + claimed assets. Thank you! http://bit.ly/ZlV0Tx
2013 free tax preparation was provided by CA$H Greater Portland, a program of United Way of Greater Portland and the Greater Portland CA$H Coalition: AARP Tax-Aide, Coastal Enterprises, Inc., Community Financial Literacy, Goodwill Industries of NNE, Internal Revenue Service (IRS), KeyBank, Pine Tree Legal Assistance, Portland Housing Authority, and Women, Work and Community and 166 volunteers--thank you! Free tax preparation events were offered statewide by CA$H Greater Portland, members of CA$H Maine, and AARP Tax-Aide—eleven coalitions working together to help individuals and families find ways to make the most of their money.
Thank you to our 2013 Sponsors: United Way of Greater Portland, Goodwill Industries of NNE, IRS, KeyBank, Casey Family Services, Gorham Savings Bank, Casco Federal Credit Union, and East Brown Cow.